Saturday, December 17, 2005

Living vicariously


Haven't we all experienced what it means to live vicariously through others? Sometimes the circumstances are such that we cannot be in the same place, at the same time, or under the same conditions as another, and yet we can still benefit from their experiences. I had that experience today, when I stumbled upon this blog. As strange as their circumstances are (walking across India, getting by on less than $1/day, and living a life a service), I believe you will gain immeasurably from this blog, and I recommend it to you.

The story that I found very fascinating, and it represents a specific example of Paying It Forward, is called Unspoken Contract With a Rickshaw Driver. (Hence my photo, which is of a tuk-tuk and its driver, but perhaps you get the idea.) Anyway, I think you'll find his writing interesting, and the story compelling. Let me know what you think.

S-

p.s., not willing to leave well enough alone, I read some more of this blog and came across a related story entitled 400 Rupee Tip At the Seva Cafe. You'll have to read it to believe it. This is happening now, in India. This is NOT the Hollywood sequel to Pay-It-Forward, the movie. Calling all idealists; calling all cynics ... Can you believe it? Can it happen here? Are you going to be a part of it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home